Monday, January 29, 2007

February - It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year. Really!

People like the holiday season. And folks dig springtime. As for me though, I personally think February is the most wonderful time of the year. Why, you might ask? (I know, you didn't ask, but I'll tell you anyway.) First, the Superbowl now happens in February! YEE HAW!! But let's say you want to have a great time all month long, not just on Sunday the 4th. Well guess what? It's Black History Month - a great opportunity to check out lots of museum exhibits, special TV shows, film screenings and - live jazz! In fact, the Los Angeles Jazz Society is super busy this month, heading out to local schools and providing valuable jazz education to the next generation.

Here are some of the shows I'm planning to check out, although there are many, many more. You know the drill - post a message, send me an email or give me a jingle if you see a show you'd like to attend and wouldn't mind my company. Also - feel free to comment with announcements of shows I haven't listed. Enjoy - and hope to see you out there supporting the music!

Thursday, February 1: JIM DEJULIO QUARTET With Special Guest Bill Watrous 6:00 - 10:00 PM Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Airport Hotel, Los Angeles. I've heard these musicians before (although not together) and have enjoyed them. True confession time: I'm a Thomas Dolby fan and Bill Watrous actually played on at least one of his albums (Aliens Ate My Buick, for you 80's fans out there).

Saturday, February 4: DAVE AMEELE SEXTET 7:30 PM Café 322, Sierra Madre. Get your pre-Superbowl jazz jones filled and help Dave celebrate his birthday! This is a cute little place that has potential as a jazz venue, and Dave's sextet makes you feel like you're listening to a big band. Enjoy!


Sunday, February 11: ALAN BROADBENT TRIO 7:30 PM Spazio, Sherman Oaks. I've been meaning to catch him play for years and haven't managed to do it. I'm crossing my fingers that this might be the time, especially since I have a billion recordings with him. OK, I exaggerated a little. Millions.

Tuesday, February 13: KEN PEPLOWSKI QUARTET 6:00 - 10:00 PM Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Airport Hotel, Los Angeles. Ken's a local legend on the reeds and always worth seeing. I heard him in a duo jam session in October with Jeff Hamilton using only a snare drum and a pair of brushes and was mesmerized.

Wednesday, February 14: LARRY KOONSE 6:30 PM Vibrato, Los Angeles. I normally wouldn't venture out in public on "Black Wednesday" under any circumstances, but for Larry Koonse I might brave the couples on display. He's just that good.

Friday - Sunday, February 16-18: NEWPORT BEACH JAZZ PARTY, Irvine Marriott. I went to this event last year and it revolutionized the way I listen to jazz. Amazing performances, great environment, and a hotel full of jazz fans. A great cross section of all of the great straight-ahead artists playing today. Not to be missed...

Friday, February 23: DON MENZA, Charlie O’s Bar and Grill, 8PM, Van Nuys. John Beasley is on piano for this show and is an amazing musician and fascinating human being. Check out his new My Space page: www.myspace.com/johnbeasleymusic - cool, huh?

Sunday, February 25: BILL CUNLIFFE TRIO 7:30 PM Spazio, Sherman Oaks. It's always a treat to hear Bill play, especially since he splits his time between Los Angeles and Philadelphia (he's an instructor at Temple). Lots of fun and great music to boot!

Again, this is just the tip of the jazz iceberg, so if you hear of any shows, post them here. See you out there in the jazz clubs!!


1 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger Pam Howell said...

Lookie! Two more shows at the Jazz Bakery near my new 'hood! I'm gonna try to make it out for at least one...

Sunday, February 25
Jazz Bakery
Oscar Brown Jr. Celebration
Featuring John Beasley and other artists

3233 Helms Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA
310.271.9039

3pm
$20
http://www.jazzbakery.com/

Tuesday, February 27
Jazz Bakery
Dwight Trible Ensemble
featuring John Beasley

3233 Helms Blvd., Los Angeles, CA
310.271.9039
8:00 and 9:30pm
$20
http://www.jazzbakery.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home