Wednesday, December 06, 2006

December might be half over, but the jazz is just ramping up!

Hey Friends! I'll stop issuing excuses about my lack of contact and instead regale you with tales of irresistible jazz in the days to come. Although my jazz forays have been few and far between in recent weeks, I have seen some AMAZING shows lately, including Tamir Hendelman's Atelier show and the Los Angeles Jazz Society's December brunch featuring holiday music by some of LA's finest (Joe LaBarbera, Dave Koonse, Tom Ranier, Tom Warrington and Clay Jenkins). Instead of satiating my jazz jones, the flames have been fanned.

But enough about the past. Let's talk about the future. Here's what's coming up, and you won't want to miss any of it! I'll be attending as many of these as I can, so if you want company you know what to do! (If you don't know what to do, you should e-mail or call me. Duh.)

Friday, December 8: Chuck Redd Quintet at Steamers, Fullerton. You know I'm not crazy about driving to Orange County in Friday night traffic, so I wouldn't do it unless I knew the jazz would be a slam dunk. My sister Kim can attest to the irrestible pull of the vibraphone, and Chuck's got great style and swing.

Wednesday, December 13: Tony Inzalaco Quintet at Westin LAX, Los Angeles. I'm a big fan of Tony's after having heard him play several times at Charlie O's. He's a drummer / bandleader who delivers great original music with gusto. It's a no-brainer for me to show up for this gig!

Sunday, December 17: Gilbert Castellanos Quintet at Radisson LAX, Los Angeles. Gilbert's headlining a new jazz champagne brunch at the Radisson, and if I'm willing to trek out to the airport from the east side 2 times in 5 days this MUST be good stuff. I'm a huge trumpet fan and Gilbert is a high energy player. Trumpet and Champagne? I couldn't ask for more.

Tuesday, December 19: George Kahn Quintet at Catalina Jazz Club, Hollywood. George is performing at a special fundraiser benefiting P.A.T.H. (People Assisting The Homeless) and the evening promises to be fun and festive! Contact me for more details and a flyer - but know that this is a great opportunity to shift resources to the needy during the holiday season AND treat yourself to wonderful live music.

Wednesday, December 20: Chuck Berghofer and the Midnight Jazz Band at Spazio, Sherman Oaks. The holiday season wouldn't be complete without Chuck Berghofer and the Midnight Jazz Band. I love hearing this group play the standards with effortless conviction. This is quintessential straight ahead jazz. Don't miss it!

Now, I am certain there are various and sundry other shows happening around town and I've probably just missed them. Do me a favor and if you know of any other "must see" shows, please post a comment to this blog so more folks can check it out. In the meantime, happy holidays to all of you and hope to see you out there enjoying and supporting this fabulous music!

2 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know my baby is sprung on jazz! Up in the morning at 6:30!!!!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Pam Howell said...

My mom said "sprung"???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home