Thursday, October 05, 2006

It's Not My Breath After All: Listeners' Series, Vol. VII

I have a very active fantasy life. It's part of the reason I enjoy jazz so much; when I listen to some modern interpretations of classic tunes all I have to do is close my eyes and let my imagination transport me to another time and place, where I'm sitting in a smoky club wearing a fabulous dress, a cute little hat and white gloves. Every once in awhile someone nudges me to remind me that it's 2006 and I really have on jeans and a tank top and I have an odd, goofy grin on my face.

My imagination got the best of me preparing for the most recent Listeners' Series show, the
Dave Ameele Sextet at Cafe 322 in Sierra Madre on Thursday, September 21. Until just before the show, I was afraid that no one would join me and my Listeners' Series would become defunct. I imagined myself writing the recap entitled "It's My Breath, Isn't It?" and displaying a photo of me, sitting alone at a table for 4. It was going to be witty and sad at the same time.

But guess what? The fates are not only not that unkind, they are very supportive of jazz. This Listeners' Series had the best turnout of any, save for the
Tramp House series (which doesn't really count since there was no live music there). Seven of us made it out to support Dave's ensemble, which consisted of an all-star lineup of local musicians: Dave Ameele (drums / bandleader) - Kye Palmer (trumpet) - Bruce Babad (alto sax) - Rob Lockart (tenor sax) - Larry Koonse (guitar) - Ken Wild (bass). They featured a combination of standards and original tunes arranged and/or written by Dave. My personal fave was their version of "Surrey With the Fringe on Top" which alternately reminds me of Ahmad Jamal and When Harry Met Sally. I told you, I have a vivid imagination....

L-R: Brian Farrah, Daivd Reinhold, Lee Ann Fishback & Mike Fishback


L-R: Flip Manne, Pam Howell & Allan Spring

My heartfelt thanks to all of you who made it out last month. The verdict is in and everyone was thrilled with the show and had good stuff to say about the venue too. I'll keep my eye on the Cafe 322 calendar and as always extend an open invitation to anyone who'd like to join me!
P.S. In other jazz updates, recently I was lucky enough to join Flip Manne and some other LA Jazz Society Board members and volunteers at a jazz house party hosted by Gillis and Giselle, jazz fans extraordinare, for a Bill Henderson show. This photo was too cute not to share.

Bill Henderson & Flip Manne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home