Thursday, September 07, 2006

What A Difference A Month Makes: Listeners' Series, Vol. VI

I am consumed with shame. As a self-proclaimed jazz missionary I have totally dropped the ball and been out of touch. The upside is that those who feel inundated by my ceaseless jazz rants have had a break. The downside is that I may shortchange you on details now, but going forward I renew my vow to drown you in local jazz tidbits.

The August Listeners' Series was held at The Back Room at Henri's on August 19, the day before my birthday. The featuared band was Bill Watrous on trombone backed by the John Hammond Trio. Canoga Park is a haul for just about everyone I know, and given that past series participation has ranged from 3 to 8 folks, I didn't expect a huge turnout.

Imagine my surprise (and delight, and glee) to have 23 folks show up for the August series! Thank goodness I had ordered 3 dozen cupcakes from Sprinkles for the occasion (note: the red velvet cupcakes were a crowd favorite once Richard Davis honed his sales schtick). We settled in for 3 sets of standards, including a beautifully-done "The Way You Look Tonight". Sigh.

So - in spite of the lack of content in this review, please know that you all have set a standard for participation and I am very much looking forward to the next series event being a standing-room-only shindig! My heartfelt thanks to all of you who took the time to come out and help me celebrate, as well as to everyone who extended such thoughtful birthday greetings in absentia. And - the LA Jazz Society got some new members that night as well - HOORAY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home