Saturday, July 29, 2006

August Shows: So Much Jazz, So Little Time

August is one of those months that I'd tend to hate because there aren't any bank holidays, but I can't hate it because I was born in it. And in addition to my birthday (which incidentally I share with John Clayton) there are about a billion great shows happening in Los Angeles. I'll pick and choose among these shows, but if you find something you'd like to check out and you don't mind company, let me know! Apologies in advance for any errors or omissions...

Tuesday, August 1, 2006: Jeff Hamilton Trio at Hollywood and Highland, Hollywood. Although Jeff and Tamir are convinced I'm stalking them, I think the jury is still out for Christoph, so it's probably still safe for me to go out and support my favorite local trio.

Wednesday, August 2, 2006: Cross Hart with Zane Musa, Charlie O's, Valley Glen. I haven't checked them out yet but they're on my short list.


Wednesday, August 2, 2006: Shelly Berg Trio, Catalina's, Hollywood. Still meaning to go out and hear Shelly again after a mesmerizing performance earlier this year.

Thursday, August 3, 2006: Chuck Berghofer & The Midnight Jazz Band, Charlie O's, Valley Glen. One of my favorite acts to see. If I'm still standing after 2+ nights of jazz I'll be there.

Sunday, August 6, 2006: Barbara Morrison and the Arthur Blythe Ensemble at Catalina Bar & Grill, Hollywood. This is a fundraising event for the LA Jazz Society's Thurman Green Scholarship and a great chance to hear a jazz legend and hang out with the Jazz Society!

Sunday, August 6, 2006: Harold Mabern Trio at the UCLA Jazz Salon Series, Westwood. Harold Mabern is a legendary pianist playing with Los Angeles legends John Clayton and Roy McCurdy. Love the concept of talking with the experts about jazz...

Wednesday, August 9, 2006: Chuck Berghofer & The Midnight Jazz Band at Spazio, Studio City. Two performances in the same month (8/3 at Charlie O's)? Luck be a lady.

Friday, August 11, 2006: Bill Cunliffe Trio at Spazio, Studio City. Bill's a superb pianist and engaging performer with a bio as long as my arm. I'll see if I can get my sister Kesha to come out for this one!

Saturday, August 12, 2006: Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band at La Ve Lee Jazz Club, Studio City. Poncho is trying out some new tunes that will be on an upcoming album - hard to sit still!

Thursday, August 17, 2006: Kristin Korb Trio at Crowne Plaza LAX, Los Angeles. This singer / bassist sings and swings - let's get out there and support the young women in jazz!

Saturday, August 19, 2006: ***SAVE THE DATE!!*** Show to be confirmed, but would love to get a group to come out to help me celebrate my birthday! I'll bribe you with cupcakes and champagne...

Thursday, August 24, 2006: Roy McCurdy Trio at Spazio, Studio City. I've heard Roy's trio many times now and enjoy the bop feel. Larry Fuller is scheduled to be on piano. I'll believe it when I see it.

Thursday, August 24, 2006: Med Flory at Charlie O's, Valley Glen. Med Flory was the focus of my very first Listeners' Series and it would be great fun to hear him again!

Thursday-Sunday, August 24-27, 2006: ELDAR Trio at Catalina Jazz Club, Hollywood. I've only heard him on the radio and www.pandora.com, but was completley mesmerized by this 19- or 20-year old prodigy. Will definitely have to catch one of the shows.

Sunday, August 27, 2006: John Daversa Group at The Baked Potato, Studio City. I heard John on trumpet at Joe LaBarbera's show in July (see my "Thanks for Dinner, Joe LaBarbera" post) and made a mental note to check him out again. Cool red trumpet too.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006: Jeff Hamilton, Atsuko Hashimoto and Houston Person: "International Power Trio" at Crowne Plaza LAX, Los Angeles. When was the last time you heard a trio led by a drummer featuring a tenor sax player and a Hammond B3 organist? I suspect there won't be many future opportunities so be sure not to miss it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home