Monday, May 26, 2008

June Jazz Jubilee

Long time, no chat! It’s been a while since I’ve been trolling about in the LA jazz scene, given my recent move to SuperTramp, but I’ve been listening to a lot of recordings, some of which I’m talking about at my LAJazz.com blog. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

Despite my dependence on recorded music, I’m ready to get out again. It’s time to highlight a few shows coming up in June and invite you all out to join me. Here we go…

Tuesday, June 3 (plus additional dates): Cedar Walton Quartet at The Jazz Bakery, Culver City. Cedar Walton occupies a place in jazz history and heads up a hard bop quartet that is not to be missed!

Wednesday, June 4: Tony Inzalaco Quintet at Charlie O’s, Van Nuys. One of my perpetual favorites is playing again – check out this show for fresh original compositions with superb musicianship.

Friday, June 6: Bill Cunliffe Trio with TriMotif Winds at LACMA, Mid Wilshire. Bill is a fabulous pianist, composer and arranger and LACMA’s Friday night jazz gives you an opportunity to enjoy the museum for free as well!

Sunday, June 8: The LA Jazz Society’s 15th Annual Vibe Summit, First Lutheran Church, Glendale. This event centering on the vibraphone’s place in jazz is lots of fun and gives you the chance to hear some performers that are rarely in Los Angeles. Plus you get to join me in supporting LAJS!

Thursday, June 19 (plus additional dates): Kurt Elling at Catalina Jazz Club, Hollywood. Kurt Elling is one of those highly visible young jazz vocalists and I’m delighted to get out and hear him again.

Thursday, June 19: Tales from the Diva Den at Crowne Plaza LAX, Los Angeles. Speaking of young jazz vocalists, the Diva Den is comprised of Kristin Korb, Inga Swearingen and Kathleen Grace, hugely talented musicians who put on a great show together. I saw them perform recently and was delighted to see that they’re doing it again!

And that’s all for now. Don’t hesitate to email me if you have any questions about any of the shows listed above. Hope to see you out there!!

1 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pamela,

I'm Ken Grady, just checkin' out your site

Now I know where to go for mainstream Jazz when I'm in LA.

Haven't been there for more than 20 yrs, but I'm sure there's another west coast trip in me.

Check me out at WNCU.ORG,Durham,NC.
I host the Evening Jazz Program Mon-Thurs 8:30-10pm, and the Afternoon Jazz program noon to 5pm.

Also, add your voice to our blog.

Keep swingin'

Ken

 

Post a Comment

<< Home